Facebook has just allowed contests to run on your main wall feed! Yep, you heard correctly; you can now ask people to participate by liking or commenting on your wall in order to win a prize! This is obviously great news and ultimately a realization on Facebook’s part that people were already doing this and it should be acceptable.
Facebook now explicitly allows you to:
- Collect entries by having users post on the Page or comment/like a Page post
- Collect entries by having users message the Page
- Utilize likes as a voting mechanism
Facebook still does NOT allow:
- Asking people to tag themselves in pictures of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize
- Asking fans to do something on their own personal wall; these “contests” must run solely on your center’s Page
- You can select a fan who has commented on liked a post as a “winner” and offer them a “prize.”
- You still will not have the ability to collect their data any differently or be able to track their registrations, as you would if you ran this through a full contest app like you’re used to. We anticipate the metrics and tracking abilities of Facebook’s platform will eventually change to make it easier to dig through comments and likes to pick a “winner” but nothing has been updated on this front yet. So be reasonable and random when selecting winners so that your fans see the results as fair. Unless of course you CLEARLY STATE THE CRITERIA for how you will be selecting the winner.
- Apps and contests tabs will still be available and are a useful option for more complicated and data collection enter to wins.
Here is the message about these new changes:
Facebook’s updated Official Promotion Guidelines: