As a Marketing/Event Manager I find it vital to have a personality that everyone can love. You want everyone to fall in love with you but understand that you cannot possibly please everyone. Once you’ve become everyone’s favorite, you will find it easy to get things done. Here are 5 ways on how to have a pleasing personality.
1. Make an extra effort to remember names. As simple as this sounds, people tend to take for granted the importance of why “names” exist. As an individual, your name is your personal trademark and we can’t deny how “special” we feel when people know our first and last name.
Learn a trick that you can master to remember names. The most popular trick is repeating their names out loud as soon as you are introduced. The next step is to talk to them and learn something personal about them. Ask them about what they do for a living. And immediately put your creative thinking cap on and figure out how you can work with this individual.
2. Acknowledge people when you see them. This will make them feel special. Say hi/hello and ask them how they are and mean it! Make eye contact and be sincere.
3. Develop a personality! The top favorites are: bubbly/energetic, happy, thoughtful, polite, clever, entertaining, and funny. If you have all or any of the mentioned personality, you will definitely win people over. If you don’t, then you have some work to do.
How do you develop personality? Like everything else, it takes practice. And if these characteristcs aren’t naturally easy for you, it will take a lot of energy in the beginning but as soon as you start seeing the differences, you will love and own that personality.
4. When handling business, be stern but never rude. People respect those who stand for something. Sometimes, it’s hard to be stern without being rude but you have to help your counterparts understand your motive. When you are getting ready to negate an idea, learn to say the phrase “I’m not trying to be rude but….” Or “I hope I wasn’t being rude by saying that”. Remember that disclaimers like such can help them understand you.
5. Loosen up after working hours. Your counterparts want to see you relaxed and be yourself when you’re invited to an after work function. They feel more comfortable knowing you know how to have fun and you’re not just a working robot.
Everyone wants to be liked, whether they admit it or not. We all have a need to “fit in” – It’s human nature. The most important trait to have, and you can decide if this is nature or nurture, is self-awareness. Be alert and cognizant of how your behavior affects others. Think ahead and analyze what consequences you may face before proceeding with your final decisions. Don’t be reckless but if you do, then have the decency to take responsibility. People respect those who know how to admit their mistakes.
When you have mastered all of the above, your next big project is to learn how to be GREAT! Only then will you realize that to conquer the world is not a far-fetched idea.
For additional motivation: